I changed my font at scrappinblogs.blogspot.com

Monday, October 18, 2010

Straight out of PW cookbook...

RIB-EYE STEAK WITH WHISKEY CREAM SAUCE
Makes 2 servings

5 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons diced onion
1/4 cup whiskey
1/4 cup beef stock or broth
Dash of salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup light cream
2 rib-eye steaks
  1. Begin by melting 2 tbsp of the butter over medium heat in a small skillet. Add the onion and cook until brown, about 4 minutes.
  2. When the onion is brown, turn off the burner temporarily so you won't ignite your kitchen or yourself.
  3. Pour in the whiskey
  4. As soon as teh whiskey evaporates, turn the burner on medium and pour in the beef stock or broth.
  5. Add salt and freshly ground black pepper
  6. Now, whisk in another tbsp butter.
  7. Allow the mixture to bubble for 30 seconds, then reduce the heat to low.
  8. Over low heat, pour in the cream.
  9. Whisk, adding more cream if the mixture looks too brothy.
  10. Allow to simmer on very low heat while you prepare the steaks. Stir occasionally.
  11. Melt the remaining 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet oer medium-high heat. Generously salt and pepper the steak on both sides, then add it to the hot skillet.
  12. For medium rare, cook for 2 minutes on each side for a thin steak, or 3 or 4 minutes on each side for a thick steak. Place the steak on a plate and keep warm.
  13. Spoon the sauce over the steak.....and don't skimp! You want to taste the deliciousness.
  14. Mmmmm. It doesn't get much better than this.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't eat the leftover sauce by the spoonful. I'm just being honest here.

When the onion is bron, turn off the burner temporarily so you won't ignite your kitchen or yourself.


The above is straight out of Pioneer Woman's cookbook.

My take on it:
I doubled the recipe and to do it over again, I would have doubled it again. It was THAT good. I didn't make rib-eye's, I made hamburger steaks and mashed potatoes and it was great over both. For the whiskey, I used crown. For the light cream, I used skim milk mixed w/ a little butter and flour.

If you make it and change a few things, I'd love to hear your take on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment